I have been introducing Yoshoku foods which is one category of Japanese food. It’s not traditional Japanese foods which is often called “Washoku.” Yoshoku is a category of foods which is originally from US or Europe. I think the food arranged them to Japanese style is called Yoshoku recently and people are thinking it is a category of Japanese foods. Those foods are sometimes called “Wafu” somthing. Wafu means Japanese style in Japanese.
Today’s food is Wafu Oroshi Hamburg. Cooking method is no difference from regular one. The difference is the sauce. It’s using grater Japanese radish (Daikon Oroshi) and Soy Sauce or Ponzu.
Ingredients (for 2 dishes):
- 150g Ground Beef (or mix of beef and pork)
- 75g Onion
- 1 Egg
- Grater Japanese Radish
- Chopped Green Onion
How to make:
1) Combine Ground Beef, Chopped Onion and Egg well in the bowl. Add some Salt, Pepper and Nutmeg to make it as your favorite taste.
2) Make it as round shape. Then throw it from the hand to another hand like catch ball to remove the air of inside.
3) Pour come cooking oil in a fry pan and heat. Then place hamburg. When half of it becomes white (heated), flip it over. Place the lid and keep heating on middle heat.
4) Put some Grater Radish (Daikon Oroshi) and Chopped Green Onion on the top.
When eating, pour Soy Sauce or Ponzu. I prefer Ponzu because it has more flavor than soy sauce. This is very simple arrange, just a sauce as I mentioned before. Because of the Japanese style sauce, it tastes light.
We also use this sauce (Daikon Oroshi and Soy Sauce) for fish dishes like Sanma Shioyaki (Grilled Mackerel Pike), Buri no Shioyaki (Grilled Yellowtail) and so on. The sauce make the main food as light taste and we can enjoy the original taste of fish or meat.
I’m not sure who an when developed this food. Now we can find this menu at casual restaurants in Japan. Of course, it is made at home because of its simpleness.
I think many people are cooking hamburg at home. So use your original recipe to make it. If you can buy Japanese Radish (Daiko) and Soy Saue or Ponzu, now you can make this dish.